Warring Fronts RPG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warring Fronts RPG Forum

Warring Fronts is a medieval fantasy nation RPG forum.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

General Discussion

Go down 
+12
Aspen
Merenaz
Caexi
Zhufor
Rambo'neil
Bynaar
Thor
Ezria
Jaymes
Talis
Sage of Mirrors
Mille Sessau
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 28 ... 36  Next
AuthorMessage
Caexi
Admin

General Discussion - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 10:23 am

Well that would depend Jaymes whether or not his forces are prepared for an assault or not. Take my Legion in Theo's territory on my continent. Though my force has set up a camp, they are prepared for a possible attack. This means they are pretty much either sleeping in all their armor or partial which is rather quick to toss on.

In any case I am curious to see how the wars play out. We have you and Ezria going at it with Zhufor and Ejhrak getting tossed in. Then Ezria is also fighting a naval conflict with Theo agaist Talis. And then there is another possible battle/war going to go on depending on Theo's reaction to the force of 6300 soldiers in his territory
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 10:31 am

Well, I imagine my army would have time to get themselves ready. Combined with the fact that your guys were so noisy on approach, they probably got an advance warning from the scouts that were deployed. Plus, a portion of the army would always be ready to repel an attack. In addition, think of the gateway as a bottle neck. You can't flank attack me because of the walls or anything like that. You'd have to push my boys out of the gateway and that's a hard thing to do. They have military discipline, they are numerically superior, and they are fighting on home turf. Not to mention they are lined up in battle formation to fight you. xD It's gonna be a nasty fight, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
Jaymes

Jaymes

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 10:34 am

True they could be sleeping in their armor for the most part. But maybe they think the dwarves still fight honorable against a foe that doesn't in their mind. Seeing as honorable isn't a trait no more (sad face) though the dwarves could change their tactics (and have) to similar unhonorable engagements such as a night assualt. They don't beleive the whole flying thing is fair or honorable LOL if Ezria hadn't flown it'd have been kept to a day engagment most likely (though not against the city that's for sure lol it'd have been a fake assualt that turns and corners cav out side the walls then falls back when big bad army leaves to aid)

Yep but means forces in the bottleneck cant flank each other (except your fliers) so guess it's a toss up situation. Oh well personally I though you should have pursued with your force that last battle. Your reinforcements were fresh probably could have gotten another win and decimated my forces then. Been like a year since the war began so maybe the dwarves lulled you into a false since of security for those in the city who knows. Either way this fights gonna be like you said nasty.
Back to top Go down
Talis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 10:35 am

If we discount the Ezrian cavalry and light infantry it comes down to the quality of his heavy infantry. They're good fights, and I suspect that they'll defeat anything you can block the gateway with when fighting in equal numbers. That bottleneck might not be your best advantage given the quality of his troops, but we'll see.
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 10:38 am

Well this would be a good time to see how much the military discipline trait counts when used in a fight, these guys would be pretty fanatical in a fight for a home city i imagine. So should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Caexi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 11:27 am

Well all I know is I need some trading partners for stone and wood. My bank account keeps on growing just because I have nothing to spend it on.
Back to top Go down
Jaymes

Jaymes

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 11:36 am

Send a ship over to the dwarves we got stone! we'll be orcies buddies lol
Back to top Go down
Caexi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 11:41 am

lol. Well that would be nice, but I have no navy or the wood to build one. My focus is land-base and to own the entire continent I placed Caexi on whether it be through expansion, war, or protectorates.
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Let me explain a few key factors.

1. No soldiers slip in their full armor, at all. Ever. There is no evidence of any civilization on the face of the Earth where soldiers prior to the Industrial Era ever slept in a position where they could wake up and be ready to fight at a moment's notice.

2. The Home field advantage to Military Discipline was removed and given to a trait in the Territories tree.

3. It seems like everybody here is playing RISK. And what I mean is by taking a large contingent of troops and wading forward. In Ezria, it works because the mountains have tight passes and such.

On the New Continent ( the Eastern Continent ) where so far New Mille and Caexi are nothing but huge plains, that strategy will NOT work and Caexi is about to see why.
Back to top Go down
http://warringfronts.forumotion.com
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:36 pm

It doesn't matter if they slept in their armor or not. Lmao, they'd have at least several units within the garrison ready to fight. While these units of the army holds off the Dwarve's at the gates, the other guys will be gearing up and charging out to fight.
Back to top Go down
Caexi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:41 pm

Actually Theo that isn't entirely correct. Throughout the medieval era most soldiers in a camp slept in their armor while in hostile terrain because armor in that era was bulky and very hard to get back on if caught in a night attack.

Also in the way of marching with a large force is also correct in the genre we play especially when going to war. The idea of small combat teams doing specialized tasks truely become a tactic of military forces until the modern military and the invention of the gun. The English Crusades, Roman Legions, The Hun, Dynasty China, and Feudal Japan being examples.
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:44 pm

Actually it is. Unless you can give me a legitimate example of it not being. Greeks (Athenians, Spartans, Thebans, Corinthians and Ionians) all slept naked. Macedonians did as well. Romans dug encampments and had festivals during campaigns. The Carthaginians slept in furs at night.

And you need look no further than the One Hundred Years war for correction on that, as the British maintained their supremacy with small armies roving around avoiding the French knights for months at a time.
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Could I drop like stones and boiling oil down on the dwarves from atop the walls? >>;
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:54 pm

What I'm laughing about as I'm writing this ModMark is that neither of you have let your troops rest since campaign began.

I mean literally ; rest. I don't mean " not fight. " I mean, sleep!
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:55 pm

The bulk of my army has been cooped up inside the fortress. I think all they have done is rest.
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:57 pm

For less than eight hours, yet you say the minute the Dwarves come rushing they're flying over the wall and opening the gates to rush out, so I don't know how much resting they could have been doing.
Back to top Go down
Caexi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:57 pm

Yet those were forces that had light armor types as well where it was easier to get into and out of their armor. Many European countries the common soldier slept in their armor because unlike the noblemen, they didn't have squires to help them get in and out of their armor. But regardless if soldiers sleep in armor it is and can be possible since we are a 'medieval fantasy'.

Edit: Anyways Theo, I should have your mod mark started on tonight. I am almost finished with Ezria's. Damn me and typing mutliple pages. lol

Last edited by Caexi on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:58 pm

It makes sense that they would be able to! I had scouts out, the whole purpose of scouts is to inform what the enemy is doing. Therefore, they would have been ready i think for an assault. Plus the Dwarves made so much noise. Unless their blind, deaf, and stupid..I don't see how the garrison wouldn't have been woken up and armed.
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 3:02 pm

Read God's Warriors by Helen Nicholson. The Teutonic Knights considered it a sin and unhonorable to sleep in their armor.
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 3:03 pm

You and Ever-Winter have both made a slew of mistakes. The Second Battle of Agrina is going to be two armies of pseudo-zombies fighting.
Back to top Go down
Ezria

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 3:04 pm

apparently common sense of what the units would do doesn't seem to factor in. x.x
Back to top Go down
Caexi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 3:06 pm

lol well thats them. I am saying its possible. Myself for example. My people don't believe in religion, to put hope in a being that will do nothing for them. Instead they believe in the strenght of their arms and the bite of their weapons.
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 3:07 pm

If you want your characters to sleep in their armor, go for it, but you need to make it a point of conjecture ; since traditionally when not fighting medieval soldiers would remove their armor and sleep in their trousers.
Back to top Go down
Caexi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 3:11 pm

Oh I did. Since this little discussion I figured that my writing wouldn't be interpreted the correct way so I added that little fact. Being plains people they would be used arming quickly and moving quickly since they have had many little battles between houses and clans
Back to top Go down
Mille Sessau
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 3:13 pm

Caexi wrote:
Oh I did. Since this little discussion I figured that my writing wouldn't be interpreted the correct way so I added that little fact. Being plains people they would be used arming quickly and moving quickly since they have had many little battles between houses and clans

1. Being "Plains People" has nothing to do with arming quickly, but I digress.

2. Frequency of warfare also doesn't necessarily facilitate or justify sleeping in your armor at night. I can't really comprehend why you guys are so obsessed with it. Wearing a 22 piece of chainmail, or even weightier platemail to bed isn't going to let you get to battle faster. You'll need someone to help you up anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Discussion   General Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Discussion
Page 21 of 36Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 28 ... 36  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Warring Fronts RPG Forum :: General :: General Discussion-
Jump to: